• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

PT: What is causing water hammer in my flat?

Currently reading:

M

Mr Gwent

Hello

I wonder can anyone shed any light on what is becoming an annoying problem?

I had a new stopcock installed in my second floor flat a year ago. This was intended to stop water hammer which had been taking place. However, recently the water hammer has returned and from what I can tell it occurs when water is used in the flat below mine, and possibly in other flats as well. The noise is a banging or crunching of metal sound and it can be quite loud.

But, I cannot work out is why this is happening, and this is where I seek advice. Could the water hammer, if that is what it is, be the result of a vibration in the pipes because of water usage, water pressure or an air gap? If this is so, where might it be occurring?

Water in my flat is delivered via a dedicated pipe which rises through the building. This pipe is, as far as I know, isolated from the other flats which have their own respective pipes. Whether these pipes branch from a common supply which connects to the mains, or if they are connected directly to the mains, is not something I know.

Any advise would be appreciated ...

Thanks

Mr Gwent.

PlumbersTalk: What is causing water hammer in my flat? to Continue reading...

PlumbersTalk.net for the latest in plumbing news, jobs, advice and more.

Back