• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

PT: External manhole odour

Currently reading:

P

PaulBr

I have a square cast iron manhole cover in my garden that does not block the smell of toilets. It measures 655 x655 millimetres with a gap of between 5 and 6 millimetres all around between base and cover. The waterboard claim there is nothing they can do!! Is there anything I can use to make it airtight but also to be able to open it for inspection or repair? Apparently, the manufacturer of EVERBUILD THERMOFOAM AIRTIGHT ACOUSTIC EXPANDING FOAM EVTHERM7 that I originally enquired said that these foams are not suitable as they are not even waterproof. They said that probably I should be looking at closed cell foams. I wonder whether a foam of some sort blocking the surrounding gap might be better than a sheet of closed cell foam on which a heavy cast iron cover would be sitting? If a foam is suitable, will it be permanent, or will it allow access for inspection or repair with the possibility of reapplying the sealant? I read in earlier replies that silicone grease might be suitable but given that it is exposed to the sun almost the whole day, the silicone grease might last only for a few days?
Your help will be appreciated

PlumbersTalk: External manhole odour to Continue reading...

PlumbersTalk.net for the latest in plumbing news, jobs, advice and more.

Back