• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc)

Currently reading:
EF: Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc)

H

holmestm

Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc)

I have an existing installation extended in 2015. The existing cable had 3 cores and used the armour as earth, with connections soldered onto the SWA gland where required (e.g. in external sockets).

At the point the extension was added the contractor took the armoured earth and connected it to the earth of an armoured twin and earth cable but did not add a banjo to also earth the armoured sheath of any of the cabling beyond this point. This newer cable runs to another outdoor double socket where there are also no banjos so the second armoured section is not earthed either. It then runs into an external consumer unit in a shed, from where lighting and an additional socket are connected.

I recently had an electrical inspection done and this failed as a C2.

I am considering adding the banjos and earth wires myself and asking for the inspection to be redone (I agreed for the external cable to be disconnected for the purposes of the inspection, which is required for insurance purposes). The original contractor refuses to come back and make good the work as he says it is not necessary.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc)

Should the armour of an SWA carrying twin and earth cables also be earthed (with banjos etc) to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back