• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: RCD tripping only when high draw device and lighting ring is on.

Currently reading:
EF: RCD tripping only when high draw device and lighting ring is on.

G

Gooberstank

RCD tripping only when high draw device and lighting ring is on.

Hi.

Wondering if anyone had any idea what might be happening. Last night I damaged a pendant light fitting by accident, not enough to stop it working.
However later in the evening when my car charger started at 11:30PM the whole house RCD tripped.
I only thought back to the light accident as the one thing that had changed and sure enough when I turn the breaker off which controls the light ring the pendant was on the car charger works.
After fault finding the oven has the same issue, it seems when a high draw device like an oven or car charger turns on the whole house trips, but only if the lighting breaker is on. Turn it off and everything works without tripping.
The main breaker is on the right side of the board and the car charger & oven ones are to the left of the lighting ring in case that has any bearing.
I’m totally stumped why that light circuit being on makes the house trip only when I use the oven or car charger.

Worth mentioning I removed the pendant light and rewired it in and like before the accident it works fine but the tripping is still happening.

Any ideas what might be going on?
Thanks.

RCD tripping only when high draw device and lighting ring is on. to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back