• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: NVQ / Portfolio, and optimal progress into the profession - a few Questions

Currently reading:
EF: NVQ / Portfolio, and optimal progress into the profession - a few Questions

C

Charlie_Don't_Surf

NVQ / Portfolio, and optimal progress into the profession - a few Questions

A bit of a mini essay but these questions have been building up in my mind over the last weeks and months as I've been studying and volunteering in the field.

Just wondering if anyone can give some advice about the NVQ / portfolio. I'm currently studying level 2 EAL in the evenings, while volunteering 2 days per week with a local electrical firm doing mainly domestic, and who knows, hopefully getting an entry level wage soon. I'm working my steady part time office job the other 4 days per week and having a day off.

I've been watching a lot of youtube advice videos and reading threads on here. More than one person has suggested to me now that when they look back, they wish they'd started their NVQ portfolio sooner, and that a good idea in terms of speeding up my progression would be to start taking photos of the work I'm doing on the job (with myself in the pictures, with PPE, with date stamp etc) and doing a write up of what I've done for each set of photos, as well as keeping (making?) copies of risk assessments etc so that by the time I come to do the NVQ, I will already have a substantial body of evidence to really speed up the rate at which I can complete the NVQ/portfolio.

A few questions about this:

1. Is there any time limit on how old the evidence can be? For example, I'm due to start my EAL level 3 in September (well, I'll do C&G level 3 this time, but as far as I can gather it should be fine, to combine EAL lvl 2 with lvl 3 C&G) so its' going to be mid 2024 before I've got the level 2 and 3 done, at which point from what I have seen and read, if I want to be more than a domestic installer with only a little experience, I'll need to go on to spend more hours on the job each week (ideally sooner as well I guess, as per question 4 below), as well as doing something like a C&G 2346 to move my way up to being an actual 'electrician' (on paper at least).

By an actual electrician, as far as I can tell at the moment, my understanding is that that means...

Read more

NVQ / Portfolio, and optimal progress into the profession - a few Questions to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back