• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: Megger MFT-X1, definitely a step backwards.

Currently reading:
EF: Megger MFT-X1, definitely a step backwards.

W

wrpizza

Megger MFT-X1, definitely a step backwards.

Hi guys & gals,

I gave in and bought the new Megger MFT-X1. Got my hands on it Friday night, had a little play with it, used it at work on Monday and wrapped it back up on Monday evening, ready to send back...

I've been using my megger 1720 for about 7 or 8 years for domestic and commercial testing and lots of fault finding and I wanted to start testing EV chargers, hence I bought this new beauty. But soon I realised that's all it is, a beauty.

Now I was looking online for non sponsored reviews to see if anyone is experiencing the same level of frustration as me but I can't seem to find any. So I started writing a list of pros and cons, the latter a lot longer unfortunately.

Here comes the list... Please tell me if I'm wrong in any way and try to convince me to keep it, although I think it might be waste of breath.

Pros:
- It can test EV chargers but so can the 1741+

- I'm really "flipping" struggling here.

Cons:
- No proper auto start for live tests like in the 17 series. You need to "prime" the test by pushing the test button before touching live terminals for Zs or RCD. Can't just plug it in and wait for it to start.

- Insulation resistance test takes 5 seconds of loading before it shows you ANY reading.

- Newly designed croc clips that come with it are rubbish. Rounded in the middle so wires slip out.

- No normal probes come with it. Only some oversized long ones.

- Doesn't come with padding for the neck strap and the neck strap has 2 tiny buckles on it for no apparent reason. They're just there to snap and drop your tester as a result.

- The current test is barely used by anyone in domestic or commercial. Why do I have to turn the dial past it every single time when I want to go to low Ohms or MOhms tests... If we want to measure amps, we'd just use our simple clamp meter/voltage indicator with clamp on it.

- It's heavy.

- It says you can get a battery carrier for AA batteries but that's not available (yet) . So if your...

Read more

Megger MFT-X1, definitely a step backwards. to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back