• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: Distribution circuits in apartment block

Currently reading:
EF: Distribution circuits in apartment block

D

dspears1982

Distribution circuits in apartment block

Hi all,

First time poster here, albeit long time lurker.

I could do with some opinions on running distribution circuits around and through the building voids of an apartment block. The project is an old police station being converted into flats. The bloke from the private DNO approved company came out today to discuss getting a new main into the building. The building layout is such that there are 3 different communal hallways and one lobby area that was being reserved as a plant room to install all the meters. This lobby area is not directly accessible to two of the communal hallways.

In other words, the distribution circuits from kmf to comsumer unit would have to run above mf ceilings for other flats to get to the destination flat. Hope that makes sense.

The DNO bloke is saying that he can't put one big ryefield in the lobby because that would mean running power through a flat that it's not intended for. He's suggesting make multiple connections in the street and bring power into the building in multiple locations at great cost for the owner.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a BNO installation, it would be ryefield - red link cut out - meter - metclad kmf - swa to consumer unit. So it would be us installing the everything downstream of the meter and would therefore fall under BS7671.

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing in BS7671 prohibiting running a supply for one flat through another and I believe we would be ok for building regs as long as there is proper fire stopping etc..

So, my question, is there anything I have overlooked or just got plain wrong? No idea why the DNO would have any concern about our installation tbh, it's not really anything to do with him but I don't want to start arguing the ---- and then realise I was wrong. Any thoughts are more than welcome.

Thanks, DS1982

Distribution circuits in apartment block to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back