• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: Convert kiln from 415 triple phase to 240v

Currently reading:
EF: Convert kiln from 415 triple phase to 240v

H

Hyperloaf

Convert kiln from 415 triple phase to 240v

Hi, this is my first post on any forum so please excuse any naivety....

I am a DIYer with some experience of doing home electrics but no great depth of knowledge.
I just obtained a Podmore and Sons 7.5kw kiln (model 3426) which I would guess is more than 50 yrs old, for which there is absolutely no info online. I understood from the seller it was set up for 415v 3 phase in a school but was hopeful I could get it running on 240v by running heavy wires from a 50 or 100amp breaker on my main unit and connecting the elements in parallel. I understand that the ampage will be high but reckon it could work as long as I'm not running shower simultaneously!

However on opening the back I am unclear about the setup.

There are two wires running from the inputs to a 3-way selector on the front (marked low-medium-high) and these return to the heating elements as 4 insulated wires. As far as I can tell these feed two separate sets of elements starting with two of the four runs at the bottom and going around (shadows on the right make it look more complex than it is!)

Would appreciate any advice on this; I am obviously prepared to get an electrician involved if it's not reasonable simple, but funds are tight!

The orange wire is thermocouple sensor feeding to an old style wooden boxed ammeter style temp reader.

Thanks
Paul
[ElectriciansForums.net] Convert kiln from 415 triple phase to 240v

Convert kiln from 415 triple phase to 240v to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back