• If you're struggling to login because of the verification email not reaching you, don't worry it's just the forum settings applying the change slowly. I'll get in touch with those who are awaiting the verification email and sort your accounts out. I think new ones should go through fine now in most cases.

EF: Advice about PHEV car charging.

Currently reading:
EF: Advice about PHEV car charging.

I

Indyisme

Advice about PHEV car charging.

We have 2 PHEV vehicles in the family which we charge overnight in the garage, each car plugs into a normal 3 pin household socket. There is a small garage Hager consumer unit in the garage which has a 16A MCB protecting all the wall sockets which are wired with 2.5mm cable. The car chargers are 2.4kw with a current max rating of 10A. One night the 16A MCB tripped but we're unsure why.
My question is: Could the reason be that with both cars charging at the same time on the same circuit that it was being overloaded? If so could I safely replace the 16A MCB with a 20A or 32A MCB without causing any other problems.
Also the cable which supplies the power to the garage from the house is protected with 16A MCB, would I need to upgrade that also?

Advice about PHEV car charging. to Continue reading...

ElectriciansForums.net for the latest in electricians' jobs, news, advice and more

Back